Friday, June 10, 2011

Universal health

  Occasionally I stalk someone's public online romance, sort of like watching a train wreck.   I'm horrified.  I'm fascinated. I think it's a bad idea, but I'm also humbled.  Maybe it's healthy to pour the syrupy love crush into public waters.

  I talk a lot, tell way too much, but I'm too shy to throw hopes and dreams into the public forum. Reading various aspects of  people's romantic drama on social networking pages induces spiritual nausea.  At the same time, I am in awe of these lovers.  With vulnerable, corn-sweetened, and often--on the flip side--furiously incriminating posts, they assume great risk. To publicly admit to infatuation, jealousy, anger, lust, or need to be loved is to make the bold statement: I am human. Why let wants and needs limp from subconscious spaces in a distorted form?  Just tell all in a clean, forthright manner.

I don't think that I'll ever describe my feelings for anyone---including my children---in much detail  on a Facebook page.  It's not the way I was raised; it's not within my comfort level.  Too Much Information makes me instinctively cringe, but perhaps public disclosure gone amuck is good for universal mental health.  Widespread revelation might be the revolution to bring down world peace.  Once every Homo sapiens-sapiens has disclosed all, once the crazy ensuing chaos quiets, won't we recognize ourselves more easily in one another?  Won't there be more acceptance and love?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment