Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lullaby

Eyes bandaged, incognito, I get a waiver for smacking into things.  I make it down the road, holding close each crippled insect and shiny stone encountered.  At journey's end, fuschia moonlight passes around steaming platter after platter of parrilladas.   Even through my improvised caul, I taste the familiar constellations thick with barbecue sauce.  I fall asleep wondering: Am I teaching my beautiful daughter the things a woman needs to know? Not just to survive, but also to flourish?

7 comments:

  1. OMG, what a totally powerful and complete poem? I like the intrigue and expectation and how I had to read all the way to the last 2 sentences for it all to come together. Brill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mr. Asiedu. You are too kind....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondering - how long did it take to write this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sentence about my daughter was in my head all day. Half an hour for the rest...an hour with edits? I always go back and change things around. What I like, and what inspires me, about your blog is that you write frequently, well, thought-provokingly,and diversely
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By diversely I mean...poetry, civics, experience, random thoughts.....The variety is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, you're far too kind to me.

    About your writing, I used to have similar experiences when I was an avid poet. Whole verses would appear in my mind and play all day so that my duty as a poet was simply to write them down without thought. Those inspired pieces were incidentally my poet. The one difference between us isI want my poetry to be as raw as possible so apart from syntax I never edit my first-choice words otherwise the poem does not feel like my child anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always in awe of friends who trust first instincts. Too much messing around with something truly can ruin the organic voice. I have inspirational flashes; they are always followed by lots of edits and changes. I guess it's a personality thing?

    ReplyDelete