Saturday, April 10, 2010

Passports in order

I just spent two days in DC with my 14 year old daughter. We took Amtrak, and stayed with the wonderful parents of one of my college roomates. Our main trip objective was to get Ghanaian visas, but we were able to spend time with friends as well.

The travel adventures have begun. Everything concerning Ghana makes us smile. Even getting yellow fever vaccinations was an exciting reminder of our plans. We are going to stay with a lovely lady whom I met through Model United Nations (My class represented the Republic of Ghana). JJ will go to school while we're there; I will observe. My five year old daughter will stay with her grandparents.

It has been a long time since I've been out of the good old USA. I look at my old passport, and can't relate to the skinny young lady in the picture. We go to DC fairly often: No war in Iraq marches, friends to visit, Obama's inauguration...but never over the big ocean. We've spent summers in Boulder,and in Silver Springs while I got different Montessori certifications. We go to camp each year in the Blue Ridge Mountains. There's something satisfying about going somewhere that requires a passport,though.

The opportunity to travel with JJ, without her little sister,Zip, is also sweet. Zip doesn't want to go to Africa anyway...too many shots. Having studied Abraham Lincoln at school, she wants instead to go to the Lincoln Memorial. No shots, or passports required for that. So toward the end of the summer, Zip and I will go, without JJ, on our own excursion.

No comments:

Post a Comment